Friday, May 23, 2014

Grad!

As most of you are aware, Wednesday was my long awaited graduation from Pace. I thought it wouldn't really feel that important because really, we don't get our degrees until we're done with our internships in August...but in the end it did feel pretty great. It was just so nice to celebrate with everyone. And realizing that that goal we thought about for 5 long years - to be fully functioning psychologists - had finally come to fruition. At the same time that it feels like a million years ago that I stepped into my first ever session as a therapist, it also feels like the time past in seconds. Except when I think about what I knew then compared to what I know now. Its so amazing to look back on how much we've learnt and how much we've grown as psychologists. I feel incredibly lucky to be in this profession. It definitely has its highs and its lows but at the end of the day, I can't picture myself as anything else. And I feel completely fulfilled in this career. That's not something everyone gets to say and I don't take that lightly. 

                             
(Here is (most of) the graduating class of 2014 in our department where we spent A LOT of our time)

Anyway before I get too mushy about things, heres some pictures of the big day:

 The place was packed! I didn't think I would be nervous but as soon as it was our group's turn to be called up on stage, I must have experienced a wave of panic because suddenly the baby jumped in my stomach and seemingly lodged herself in between some of my vital organs so that I could hardly move. Otherwise, it was pretty uneventful - we mostly took selfies (seen above) and then instagramed and commented on each other's facebook posts throughout the ceremony:


Then we took more pics after while we still had our robes to rock.





And then we headed off to meet the rest of the fam for a fabulous dinner at Blue Fin, to do what we do best: EAT. Normally I would say EAT AND DRINK but baby girl needs a healthy brain so alas, I stuck only to the eating portion (and did so very well). 


 As always, it was SO wonderful to hang out with the entire family. I'm seriously so lucky to have such a great one. Wherever we are when we sit down to eat together, its always a good time. But theres just something about being in New York all together that makes it even better...

 (photo cred goest to my lovely cousin Nicole!)

(You may notice that a few bites were already taken before I could manage to take a pic. Give me a break, I'm pregnant. Stop judging the pregnant lady)

We finished around 11pm and walked back through Times Square to our hotel 10 blocks away, which was perfect as I was in desperate need to walk off some of the feast. It was such a great day and night and I felt so happy. I also loved that I got to experience all of this with the baby too. I was thinking today about how much I love having her around with me all the time. I felt that very strongly during the grad ceremony and again today when I went on a job interview. Especially today, actually. I was hiding the fact that I was pregnant so it was almost like me and her were sharing a secret. As a result, I felt the least anxious I've ever felt while in an interview and I loved that. In my head I was like "Meh, if I don't do well, at least I got you little lady." Inside, she kicked her approval. I realize she might have felt differently about that sentiment if she realized no job for me = no money to support her but hey give me the moment won't you?

In summary, Wednesday night we were out late then took an early morning flight back to Toronto in order for me me to still make it to work in the morning. Then last night I had a terrible sleep as I always do before an interview. So, right now I am incredibly tired and am off to drag myself up the stairs to bed (oh God I just realized I still have to take off my make up from the day, ugh thats going to take so much energy!!). I wish I could function better when tired but I cannot so this pretty lame post is what you shall get as a result. Hopefully sleeping in tomorrow will bring me back to life again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment