Saturday, May 17, 2014

New York Bound

Tomorrow morning Sean and I jet off to our old hometown. Its my graduation on Wednesday but more importantly we are getting 4 entire days of New York to see our New York friends (and NJ family!), do our favourite New York things, and walk around our favourite New York streets. I am beyond excited.

(Top of the Rock)

In September when I first started spending time in Toronto, I thought I really loved my new city and was ready to leave New York behind. But the more time that passes, the more I miss my old city. I just don't have a relationship with Toronto the way I did with New York. Its not just that its an incredible city but such a great part of my life was spent there too. Whenever we go back it feels like every single block reminds me of something special, happy, exciting, etc. So many memories.

(Bottom of the Rock)

Going back for graduation is making me especially nostalgic. Last time I celebrated a graduation in this beautiful city was back in May, 2009. At the time, I knew I was headed to Pace and that most of my NYU credits would be transferred there so I didn't really feel a celebration was justified (it felt more like the beginning of the long haul towards my doctorate) but it was one of the best days/nights of my life nonetheless. Any time our families get to sit down and eat a fabulous meal together, especially if its a New York meal, is an awesome time. And everyone was so excited and happy. Later I would find out that word had spread that Sean was about to propose and everyone was already ready to celebrate  that bit of news. I believe Nonna, Karen, mom, and Aunt Corinne shared a group hug in the bathroom all while I unsuspectingly sat smiling, enjoying the giddy atmosphere at our table. 


 (Pace days in a nutshell: these two and Fulton Street)

So it feels incredibly special that again we will all sit down together one May evening to share a meal, this time with our little girl bouncing happily in my belly as she gets her first taste of fine New York dining. I remember looking up at the Brooklyn Bridge on our way back home in 2009 and saying to Sean, "life is so great right now" and wondering if it could ever feel sweeter than that. I am very happy to find that almost exactly five years later, life is still just as sweet, if not sweeter :)

However, not being a New Yorker anymore means I'm now a tourist. And being a tourist in New York means being outraged by how expensive everything is. Thus, I am not certain that I will have wifi access while we are there (if drinks are $15 each - and thank God as a couple we're only drinking for one these days -  we can't afford the daily wifi charge too!), which means I may be going dark on this blog until Thursday. At that point, expect to be inundated with millions of picture celebrating my lost love, my beautiful old friends, New York.

Happy long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment