Saturday, August 16, 2014

Bump in the Night (And Early Morning)

I had heard many, many, many times that sleep is hard to come by in pregnancy. But for me, up until this last month and a half or so, sleep has actually been awesome. In my first trimester I slept harder than I've ever slept in my entire life. I've always had difficulty falling asleep. As long as I can remember its taken me a good hour or so to make it happen. When I was a kid, I remember reading with a flashlight under my blankets to pass the time until sleep finally came to me. As a teenager I would grow more anxious with every passing song that I heard in full on the Top 10 at 10 on Kiss 98.5 knowing that it meant time was going by and I still wasn't asleep. But in February this year, it barely took my head hitting the pillow before I was out cold. It was amazing.

So that being said, I realize I have been incredibly lucky for quite awhile now. However, the tide has been turning and suddenly sleep is not so easy to come by any longer...

For one, I have to pee approximately every 10 minutes. I think I am staying in shape simply by the amount of walking I do to and from the bathroom nightly. And when I'm not up peeing, I'm dreaming about needing to. This does not make for a restful slumber.

And then theres the pain. It started in my upper thigh, only on one side; a problem simply solved by restricting my sleep to my left side only (stomach and back sleeping had already been ruled out due to not wanting to squish the baby or cut off its blood supply, respectively). But now its reached both sides, leading to LOTS of tossing and turning. Since I now also require at least one pillow between my knees and under my hanging belly, this involves quite a bit of rearranging, which takes some time to accomplish.

And now, as of this weekend, the pain has reached a new level. Last night I had such intense and long-lasting lower back pain that I actually wondered if I should alert somebody that I could possibly be in labour. Alas, propping myself up into a sitting position with three pillows did the trick. As such, it looks as if my prone position sleeping days may be behind me until baby girl gets here. Its actually not so bad comfort-wise, but it sure does make me feel like a complete weirdo...

Then this morning I guess the bean decided she had had quite enough sleep for one night because she was jumping and bouncing around in my belly like crazy (...I'm so tired I can't even both to come up with a witty simile there). I took this video as evidence:

Be warned though-
 if you haven't 1. ever been pregnant or 2. seen a baby moving in a belly before, this will be an extremely creepy 8 seconds



So for the first time in, well, probably ever, I woke up before 8am on a Saturday morning despite not needing to be anywhere for hours and hours. Apparently this is "good training for parenthood" but this sentiment does not help me feel more positive about the situation in the least. Oh how I love my sleep! Isn't it too early to mourn the loss of it?! 

...Sorry Sean, I know you said that nobody likes a post thats all writing and no pictures. Take it up with your daughter! Truth be told, I actually had a more pictureful post started but the amount of effort it was starting to require was more than I had to give so I abandoned it midway. I'll get back to that one next time so I swear, pictures for your viewing pleasure then :)





1 comment:

  1. Aw, Natalie! I'm sorry that things are starting to get uncomfortable for you! Only a little while longer! I have to say though that your video was the coolest thing ever, although I feel bad saying it because I know that must have been painful for you! I can't believe you can see her move like that! Pregnancy is crazy! I can't wait to see you at the end of this week!!!! Miss you! Hope you get some sleep! Xoxo, Nicole

    (PS - I started a teaching blog for school, so ignore the fact that it says "elementary excellence" when I comment hehe.)

    ReplyDelete